Europe’s first company building fish and seafood alternatives based on mushroom mycelium by leveraging the unique properties of solid-state fermented mycelium. This will help them produce their alternative-seafood products at price-parity and taste-parity to authentic seafood. To achieve this, the company is applying their biophysical expertise to the mycelium world.
Esencia Foods is Europe’s first company building fish and seafood alternatives based on mushroom mycelium, using solid-state fermentation. Our mission 🐠 is to foster the world’s transition to a sustainable seafood system – without asking consumers to compromise on taste, texture, or price. We are looking for a Food Scientist to lead our R&D team in the development of our whole-cut seafood alternative based on mycelium fermentation.
This is your opportunity to have an impact on our planet and experience a startup in its early days.
Role & Responsibilities🔨
● Lead the product development of our innovative whole-cut fungi-based seafood alternative
products, from lab to fork and through full commercialization
● Research and develop new food technologies to establish product building blocks including
texture interactions and flavor
● Support the development of new ideas, new processes and procedures as the company grows
● You will work in strong interaction together with Mycologists and Microbiologists to adapt the
technology to make the best product
● Be able to think critically, manage your time effectively and be flexible to support cross-functional
projects and help the company meet its goals
● BSc or MSc in Food Science, Food Technology or related field with relevant experience
● Experience in food product development (development of alternative protein solutions is
● Experience for formulation and application development
● Strategic and analytical thinker, able to improve internal competencies and technologies to reach
● Excellent written and verbal skills in English
Why join? 🚀
● You will work directly the founders: Bruno, the CTO, a unique mix between a PhD in Biophysics
from Max-Planck Institute, Germany and also a Cook. Hendrik, the CEO: a former M&A consultant
and senior leader from a b2c unicorn. We will work together and take joint decisions.
● Trans-disciplinarity at its peak: we believe invention only happens when you connect dots that are
seemingly far apart. Really far apart.
● A high-impact, ambitious startup environment with the ability to learn and grow alongside the
● The opportunity to work on groundbreaking technology and make a true impact on the
environment and our food system
● A fun, flexible and rewarding environment where you can have the ability to thrive as a person
● We grow as a company, you grow as a leader in your field or as
● Excited to work with us?
* Elon Musk did not fly to the moon before starting SpaceX. So, we encourage you to apply even if you
feel you do not match all criteria perfectly. Many thanks!
Apply through the career page on www.esenciafoods.co