Shiok Meats is seeking to hire a Food Technology Intern. This position must prioritize timelines for new product development, evaluation of existing products, researching industry trends & new technology and supporting food safety standard. To participate in cross-functional product development activities resulting in meeting company goals for cost savings, quality improvements and new product innovations. We hope that you’re as excited about cell-based seafood as we are and that you look forward to working in a team and a dynamic, fast-paced and vibrant working environment with lots of room to grow.
- Intern for a period of 6 months – Full-time
- Possibility of conversion to full-time position at the firm upon completion of 6 months internship
- Based in Singapore
- Start date – January 2021
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelors/Masters in food science/technology or related field
- At least 1 year food science/technology research experience in industry/academia
- Experience with designing and conducting functional or sensory testing
- Experience with formulation development is a plus.
- Proven track record of innovative research and development projects. A passion to create new products that meet consumer’s needs.
- Ability to continuously challenge assumptions to seek innovative solutions
- Strongly motivated and believes in mission to bring cell-based crustacean meat and seafood to market
- Ability to think out of the box
- Innovative, highly enthusiastic and self-motivated
- Works well independently, as well as in a team; able to work collaboratively within and outside of the group
- Have great attention to detail and ability to keep detailed written records
- Have strong communication skills including verbal, written, and scientific data presentation to a variety of audiences
- You will play a key role in the development of new products, managing the critical path from ideation stage through to concept approval and to launch the product.
- You will play a key role in evaluating existing crustacean products in terms of texture, taste and formulation.
- You will be applying your New Product Development (NPD) and market knowledge to evaluate the commercial viability of new products.
- Maintain knowledge of developments in ingredient formulation and processing research.
- Drafting and updating company on NPD procedures and ensuring that all staff are fully compliant
- Keeping up to date with changes to legislation and new research.
- You will work closely with Product Manager to ensure that the products, at every stage of the project, meet brand and customer expectations.
- You will do constant research on upcoming food trends and recommend ways to refine current product range.
- To carry out food application trials and shelf life analysis of the product
- Understand and research on the relevant ingredients and how each ingredient affects the stability and properties of the food.
- Gain knowledge on the regulatory compliance and quality assurance requirements and how to resolve regulatory compliance issues by (i) evaluating the nutritional value, colour, flavour and texture of food and (ii) test new ingredient concepts; work with purchasing to make ingredient modifications where appropriate.
- Monitor product performance and quality through sensory, customer/consumer feedback, and other sources.
- Work with appropriate resources to develop documentation necessary for meeting production and product goals.
The position is full-time and the intern will be compensated similar to industry standards. The internship performance will be reviewed and possibility of conversion to full-time position at the firm will be considered upon completion of 6-month internship period.