About The Company:
We are an early stage cultivated meat biotech startup looking for a Scientist in Cell Line Development and Tissue Engineering at our Pasadena, CA location. Driven by concerns around sustainability and animal welfare, we are developing cultivated meat technology for a healthy and ethical future of food. The founding team brings years of expertise from biopharma, synthetic biology and chemical engineering industries to the table. If you want to help pioneer a new scientific field, are thriving in finding solutions, and would like to work with a fun and innovative team – this is for you!
About The Role:
You have the unique opportunity to be part of Orbillion Bio R&D for cultivated meat. In this role you will conduct and establish our cell line platforms by applying cutting edge biotechnology to mammalian cell culture and engineering in order to produce commercially relevant cell lines.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Establishing mammalian and avian cell line platforms, including isolation of stem cells and primary cells from tissues and inducing differentiation
- Engineering innovative cell manipulations within a food technology context and mindset
- Designing and validating cellular and molecular quality control markers and pilot scale-up parameters towards cultivated meat production
- Analyze and present data to a multidisciplinary research team and communicate recommendations and ideas for future research efficiently
- Independently manage complex projects and junior scientists and RAs
Required skills And Experience
- Strong expertise in mammalian cell culture techniques and derivation of primary and ESC cells.
- Strong background in cell biology topics including cell cycle, proliferation, differentiation, and cellular adhesion
- Hands-on experience using CRISPR/Cas9 to edit eukaryotic genomes.
- Demonstrated ability to optimize genetic engineering protocols to increase efficiency, reduce turnaround time or reduce cost
- Solid background in molecular biology techniques
- Experience with cell staining and analysis using flow cytometry and fluorescence microscopy
- Growth mindset, curiosity, and ability to learn quickly and work independently as a self-directed problem solver
- Desire to work as a team player and build a diverse, collaborative, and kind work environment
- Strong organizational skills to prioritize and deliver against timelines and competing priorities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A positive attitude that embraces the challenges and opportunities of a dynamic and multidisciplinary startup environment
- Authorization to work in the US
Bonus Skills (Great If You Have These, But Not A Requirement):
- Experience working with high-throughput screening and lab automation
- Background in the regulation of gene expression in eukaryotic cells
- Competency in immunohistochemistry, microscopy and flow cytometry to characterize complex cell phenotypes
- Tissue engineering expertise
- Experience with 3D culture, microcarriers and/or cell bioreactors (small or large scale)
- Previous experience in synthetic biology design of novel organisms or cell control systems
- Advanced bioinformatics and sequencing data analysis skills
- Basic scripting in relevant languages such as Python, R, SQL, etc.
- Advanced statistical skills in data analysis using software packages such as R or JMP
- Experience in DoE and other engineering type experimental design strategies
- Experience managing RAs and scientists
- Postdoc experience
- PhD in Cell Biology, Bioengineering, Biophysics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or related engineering or life science discipline or 4+ years of relevant industry experience with a Master’s degree.